[Avodah] Interest and modern economies

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri May 24 15:08:00 PDT 2024

.
I wrote:
> Imagine a nation where those who needed a loan could easily
> get one, and it would be interest-free.

R' Joseph Kaplan responded:
> It would be nice to imagine that but my sense is it never
> existed - hence the need for heter iska and, similarly, pruzbul
> - and so it probably won’t exist anywhere ever other than in
> our imaginations.

I concede that it probably never existed in the past, but that is due to
our sinfulness, exactly the same as how we had one Shabbos, long ago,
exactly one Shabbos on which not a single Jew did any melacha whatsoever.
And for whatever reason(s), we've been unable or unwilling to do that again.

But we hope, and we pray, and - most importantly - we TRY to return to that
situation, where all Jews will be united in following Hashem's directives,
among them being the probitions of melacha on Shabbos and interest among
Jews.

Akiva Miller
"If all else fails, read the Manual."
.