[Avodah] El Al Flights To JFK Airport In New York

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun May 19 12:16:17 PDT 2024

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 05:12:54PM -0500, Jay F. Shachter via Avodah wrote:
> I don't know why El Al flights don't fly over the Holon cemetery
> (maybe some reader of this mailing list can address that -- I would
> thank that Iggroth Moshe Yoreh De`ah 164:276 [1973] is dispositive),
> because if you fly El Al often, the chances are good that you have
> shared your airplane with several dead Jews in the cargo area.

El Al actually has weekly flights that will never carry a meis for this
very reason. And maybe a kohein should ask, at least on El Al, (Shema
Shlomo, YD 18), because then the probability is significant (around 45%
of flights). RMF wouldn't allow a kohein flying on the same flight as a
meis (YD 2:164), but I think others hold the cargo area is its own ohel,
and this isn't necessarily a problem.

> Actually, an airplane flying over a cemetery does not present the
> exact same fact pattern as the partition between the cargo area and
> the passenger area, because airplanes are actually quite porous...

I thought planes had pressurized cabins, because the air pressure can
be quite low at flying altitudes. Which would make they are sealed.

But an ohel can have a much bigger hole than one air can link through
and still be an ohel.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 26th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   3 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Hod sheb'Netzach: When is domination or taking
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF       control just a way of abandoning one's self?