[Avodah] kheref ayin

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun May 5 06:25:05 PDT 2024

.
R' Joel Rich asked:

> My Thought -While it certainly is true that we need to believe that
> hkbh has a plan and can reverse everything kheref ayin, we need to
> guard against the possible reduction of our incentives to be an
> active part of the resolution of the situation. You?

It's not at all clear to me which "incentives" and "situation" you might be
talking about. My guess is that you might be talking about Israel's current
military and political problems. You might be saying that although surely
HaShem has His plan and will take care of things in His own way, we can't
let that lull us into complacency; rather we need to do whatever hishtadlus
we can do in a "natural" way also.

If that's what you are suggesting, what's new here? For all problems, great
and small, we need both tefilla and hishtadlus.

We humans are often fooled by the illusion of what is natural and what is
not. Consider this, from page 125 of the 2017 edition of Rabbi Emanuel
Feldman's "The 28th of Iyar":

> There is a beautiful story making the rounds these days. A
> foreign correspondent is talking to a rabbi in Jerusalem and
> asks him how he thinks the crisis will finally be settled.
>
> "By one of two ways," the rabbi replies. "By a miracle or by
> a natural way."
>
> The correspondent asks, "What would be the natural way?"
>
> "To settle it by a miracle," answers the rabbi.
>
> "And what would be the miracle?"
>
> "To settle it in a natural way," says the rabbi.

Akiva Miller
.
.