[Avodah] NOT Banned as Kitniyot during Pesach - pop-corn, fresh peas, and peanuts

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 09:03:10 PDT 2024

.
R' Meir G. Rabi cited MBerrurah 453:6. His translation is:

> The reason for this stringency is that Sometimes wheat is found
> amongst Kitniyot and they cannot be identified and removed with
> confidence, and will become Chamets when baked or cooked

He concludes from this that

> Although the MBerrurah adds flour to the ban, he does not ban
> eating Kitniyot that have not been combined with water and baked
> or cooked i.e. peanuts, peanut butter, pop-corn, fresh peas and
> beans, and one may legitimately speculate about cooking Kitniyot
> that are not at risk of containing wheat, like tinned peas.

I would like to make two points.

First: I concede that the MB does not *explicitly* ban eating *dry*
kitniyot, but as far as I see, he does not explicitly allow it either. But
he DOES write that the wheat grains "cannot be identified and removed with
confidence". To me, that is enough to ban the kitniyot entirely, although I
can certainly understand your argument that popcorn (which has oil but not
water) and peanuts (which are roasted, but without even oil) ought to be
allowed, because even if wheat grains ARE mixed in, they never became
chometz (if we are confident that they never got wet).

But second: In your area, is there no water in a tin of peas? American
canned peas are full of water, to keep them soft and tasty; is it different
Down Under?

Moadim L'Simcha,
Akiva Miller
.