[Avodah] psak/feelings

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 10 18:48:59 PDT 2024

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 05:53:19AM +0300, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> Interesting. I recently heard R Asher Weiss say a poseik shouldn't have any
> "feeling" about the answer to a question but rather look at sources and see
> where they take him. This seems different from R YBS in
> community-covenant-commitment "my inquiry consisted only in translating a
> vague intuitive feeling into fixed terms of halachic discursive thinking".

See what I wrote on Mar 8 in reply to your post on "klalei psak"
http://lists.aishdas.org/pipermail/avodah-aishdas.org/2024q1/047630.html

> The Chavatzeles haSharon quotes a chain of acharonim who hold that a
> poseiq generally knows where the pesaq is going to be, and then reasons
> his way to it. More recently, the Minchas Yitzcha says similarly.

> RAW says he never understood it. Rather, the poseiq should ignore that
> feeling and try to find Amito shel Torah without bias.

> As I recently commented on the AI discussion, I was under the impression
> that the process of pesaq not only includes ideas you can articulate, but
> also attitudes and tendencies that can't be put into words. As I said, I
> think this is why Chazal requires shimush rabbanim as a pre-requisite for
> hora'ah. Because there are things you can only learn by osmosis.

> And those go into that immediate feeling of where the pesaq ought to be.

> Yes, you have to be honest enough when the logic of the sefarim forces
> the poseiq to conclude your feeling comes from somewhere else, that it
> just doesn't work. But I thought a major part of being a TC is becoming
> the kind of person who has the right hunches.

Micha Berger                 The meaning of life is to find your gift.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   The purpose of life
Author: Widen Your Tent      is to give it away.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                   - Pablo Picasso