[Avodah] klalei psak

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 04:41:50 PDT 2024

Another approach.

I recently read a (Hebrew) 500+ page sefer titled "HaRif bein Sefarad
l'Ashkenaz" by R' Emanuel Elalouf (rifyomi at gmail.com) of Har Nof.
(Never heard of him before - nothing useful on Google.) He promotes a
Rif Yomi program.

His approach is that the Ashkenaz and Sefard psak diverged due to
geopolitical reasons.

Since the Geonim and the  "Spanish" Jews lived under the same rulers,
they were able to communicate relatively easily. They would send their
questions to Bavel, the Geonim would discuss it at the Yarchei Kalla
and send back a response. (Since the mail route passed through Cairo,
these Teshuvoth were copied while passing through and eventually
landed in the Genizo, which is why we have copies of them.)
As can be easily proved, the Geonim paskened each question on its own,
irrelevant of prior psakim.

Since Ashkenaz was under "enemy rule", there was no easy way for them
to communicate with the Geonim. Communication was tedious and rare.
That is what forced them to figure out new questions based on earlier
psak and similar concepts. (The ball being rolled from place to
place.)

Chodesh Tov,

- Danny