[Avodah] Do dogs have free will?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 8 10:01:44 PST 2024

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 03:41:34PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> On Shemos 22:30, Rashi explains that treifos are given to the dogs
> specifically as "s'char" (reward - Rashi uses this word twice) for
> fulfilling "lo yecheratz kelev l'shono".  Does this s'char prove that the
> dogs had free choice in the matter? If not, then why would they be rewarded?

Does "sekhar" mean reward? Does "hasokheir es hapo'el" reward his employee?
It could even be contractual.

Maybe the nation that shows kavod to bread when we make Qiddush is
expected to repay the dog species regardless of their lack of choice.
For our own middos, if not them.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 Despair is the worst of ailments. No worries
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   are justified except: "Why am I so worried?"
Author: Widen Your Tent                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF