[Avodah] Should we have returned after 3 days?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 17 12:36:52 PST 2024

On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 06:12:27PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> Sometimes people ask whether we were wrong for not returning to Mitzrayim
> after three days, given that Moshe Rabeinu never asked Paro for more than
> that.

Why did we have to ask for anything in order for leaving oppression to be
justified?

As for why Hashem had Moshe only ask for 3 days to serve Him... Because
the exercise was to get Par'oh to agree to something closer to his nequdas
habechirah. Par'oh is then punished for not even allowing a single holiday
off.

But it's a totally separate request than leaving permanently. And in truth
Par'oh had not moral grounds to own the right to allow or withhold either.

Micha Berger                 It is harder to eat the day before Yom Kippur
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   with the proper intent than to fast on Yom
Author: Widen Your Tent      Kippur with that intent.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                     - Rav Yisrael Salanter