[Avodah] redemptive element in Jewish "commercial" law.

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 17 12:32:05 PST 2024

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 05:45:24AM +0200, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> My study of the Aruch Hashulchan choshen mishpat has made me realize more
> than ever that while every society needs to have a set of rules to settle
> financial disputes and damages, one really sees how there is an overarching
> redemptive element to in Jewish "commercial" law.

Rashi on Vayishlach quotes R Elazar (Chullin 91a) that Yaaqov went back
because the righteous consider their money precious, because of their care
they take to earn their money honestly.

Proper business ethics isnt just the permissable way to conduct business,
it actually sanctifies the activity. And therefore, the pachin qetanim
were sacred to Yaaqov, not to be simply left behind.

(As a dad, I had the more prosaic theory that Yaaqov had to go back
across the Yaboq because one of those pachin was Binyamin's favorite
"baba". Without which, he wouldn't let anyone sleep. All parents
have "been there, done that." <grin>)

Micha Berger                 "The most prevalent illness of our generation is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   excessive anxiety....  Emunah decreases anxiety:
Author: Widen Your Tent      'The Almighty is my source of salvation;  I will
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    trust and not be afraid.'" (Isa 12) -Shalhevesya