[Avodah] Shabbat Candle Burnout

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 04:30:39 PST 2024

.
R' Joel Rich wrote:

> somebody mentioned the practice of relighting shabbat
> candles after shabbat that had burnt out by themselves
> on Shabbat. I hadn’t heard of this practice and neither
> had most of the participants.

Like most people (I presume), I too feel bad when my Shabbos candles go out
on their own. It never occurred to me that there might be a practice - as
you cited - of relighting them after Shabbos.

But given your interest in where this practice came from, I'll share the
first thought that came to my mind when you introduced the question:
Perhaps it is a carryover from Chanuka candles? By Chanuka, we are told
quite explicitly that "Hadlaka Oseh Mitzva", and that therefore, as long as
the lighting was done properly, "Kavsa Ain Zakuk Lah", if it goes out there
is NOT any need to relight it -- yet there is a practice to relight them
anyway.

Perhaps for some reason or other (I can speculate on the reasons, but won't
bother right now) the practice of "relighting anyway" got carried over from
Chanuka to Shabbos (the big and obvious difference being that on Chanuka we
can usually relight immediately, but on Shabbos we have to wait until
Motzaei Shabbos).

Akiva Miller