[Avodah] observing the mitzvot is good for digestion?

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 23:40:37 PST 2024

>From Maaseh Harav:
In the essay we are discussing, the Rav expresses his disgust at the
prevalent preaching to the effect that “observing the mitzvot is good for
digestion, sweet sleep, family tranquility and social status.” He had never
attempted to interpret the Torah via “the categories of mental health,
peace of mind and the like, despite the popularity of this approach amongst
Jewish thinkers, Orthodox and non-Orthodox.” He had no enthusiasm for those
who would “bedeck the Torah with modern-Bohemian crown and to demonstrate
to those at ease in the suburbs of Boston, New York and Los Angeles, that
it is worthy of entering their ornate living rooms. He follows this
paragraph with blunt statement that “religious action is primarily an
experience of suffering”
Me- “We go running for the shelter of our mother’s little helper
And it helps us on our way, gets us through our busy day” HT- The Rolling
Stones

Thoughts?

Bsorot Tovot

Joel Rich