[Avodah] Quantum of Halachic Time

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 11:48:38 PST 2024

.
R' Micha Berger suggested:

> * PS tangent to share a pet theory:
> I think Chazal had a single quantum of halachic time.
> Meaning that "tokh kedei dibbur" -- the smallest unit of
> time when it comes to intent and speech, and the time it
> takes to walk 4 amos - the smallest unit of time when it
> comes to action, were two ways to approximate the cheileq
> -- the smallest unit of time when calculating time.

This is very confusing. I think you might be contradicting yourself. How
there be one single quantum unit, when you are describing two different
units?:

First you describe a "tokh kedei dibbur" as being the smallest unit of time
when it comes to intent and speech. Then you describe "the time it takes to
walk 4 amos" as being the smallest unit of time when it comes to action.
That makes two different smallests.

And then you say that these two things ways of approximating "the cheileq",
which is the smallest unit of time when calculating time. So which is your
quantum? The two practical measurements, or the cheileq?

IN ANY CASE, we also have a unit of time called a "rega", defined by Rambam
Kiddush Hachodesh 10:1 as 1/76 of a chelek, which makes it MUCH smaller
than any of the above.

Akiva Miller

PS: Additional information:

1 mil = 2000 amos = 18 minutes = 1080 seconds
4 amos (1/500 mil) is therefore 2.16 seconds

1 hour = 3600 seconds = 1080 chalakim
1 chelek is therefore about 3.333 seconds

And so a chelek is more than 54% longer than a keday hiluch arba amos.

.