[Avodah] judging?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 3 07:34:01 PST 2024

On Tue, Jan 02, 2024 at 06:32:23AM +0200, R Joel Rich wrote to Areivim:
> From R' E Goldberg: "If you needed to leave Israel or your child needed to
> come home, nobody should judge you, but talk about your experience
> sensitively, thoughtfully, and intelligently." (Me-and why should nobody
> judge actions either way? And if not for an individual's actions, should
> not a community be judged on its actions?) Thoughts?

There are two ways to not be "judgmental" -- the first is to refrain from
judgment.

The second is a chiyuv, "hevei es dan kol haadam lekaf zekhus".

Unless you have some realistic chance of hashpa'ah, we should assume that
the person who needed to come home to chu"l or who brought their child home
had an appropriate reason to do so.

If there is a chance of being mashpia' you can't just assume everything
is on the up and up, because then you miss an opportunity to correct
a wrong! Perhaps it is like in recieving LH that one has to be on the
alert if true, and chabedeihu vechashdeihu. Maybe the parent or other
authority figure does have to suspend judgment (the other kind of not
being judgmental) and keep their minds open to both possibilities.

Micha Berger                 We are great, and our foibles are great,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and therefore our troubles are great --
Author: Widen Your Tent      but our consolations will also be great.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Rabbi AY Kook