[Avodah] talmud torah is pushed off by another mitzva

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Dec 27 08:53:48 PST 2023

On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 06:30:57AM +0200, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> The Rambam (talmud torah 3:4) states that mitzvot talmud torah is pushed
> off by another mitzva if the other mitzvah can't be done by someone else.

The Meshekh Chokhmah on Devarim 28:61 makes the case that there is a
difference between the text that is called Torah, and that which is
called Sefer Torah. The sefer must have an appendix of text after the
Torah itself. And this is the whole reason why there can be a machloqes
about whether Moshe wrote the last pesuqim. But the final pesuqim has
to be there like the space between the columns does, or the atzei chayim.

What is so important that we need an appendix to Toras Moshe?

>From my study of this MC at https://aspaqlaria.aishdas.org/2021/08/27/learning-and-teaching

   Rav Meir Simchah haKohein zt"l prioritizes mitzvos as follows:

   Among mitzvos, learning has the lowest inherent priority in life,
   since we could do that even without being born.

... with all the advantages of an angelic rebbe.

                                               ... Learning derives its
   value from its being necessary in order to be able to do anything else.

That last idea is from a Yerushalmi, don't blame the MC or me for that
one.

   Then come other mitzvos.

   Then comes teaching. And not just the teaching of facts, but the
   internalization of modes of thought that can come only through
   shimush, apprenticeship. This is the spiritual development of the
   next generation, our entire purpose in having been born.

   This was the great truth Yehoshua needed to record in the last eight
   verses of the Seifer Torah. Just as Rav left behind his seifer, his
   academy and students. Moshe Rabbeinu was just that -- rabbeinu, our
   mentor. He contributed to the spiritual development of the species,
   and in that way endures beyond his lifetime and his transmission of
   the Torah itself.

> What are the halachic considerations taken into account (by an individual
> or community leadership) to determine the application to mitzvot that
> require group effort? (eg protests, home front support efforts...)

Since R Yisrael Meir haKohein get his prioritization from the concept
of lilmod al menas laasos (or ... lelameid) as being the true point
of learning Torah (while alive), I would favor action -- as long as it
contributes to the betterment of the universe. Like one more person
at the protest.

Micha Berger                 I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   I awoke and found that life was duty.
Author: Widen Your Tent      I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Rabindranath Tagore