[Avodah] AI and Jewish Law

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 26 12:06:01 PST 2023

On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 10:24:42PM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> For example, R' Micha Berger wrote:
> > It produces results that usually seem like it knows what it's
> > talking about, because the training texts generally make sense.
> > But that's why at times it fills in the pattern with nonsense.
> > Hence what people call AI "hallucinations".
>
> Many decades ago, I came to the personal conclusion that the Turing Test (
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test) might be good entertainment, but
> I rejected its value for determining whether or not a computer might ever
> be deemed "intelligent". Reasonable responses to a conversation are too
> easy for a sufficiently advanced computer, I felt. My feeling was that
> genuine intelligence could be proven best by some show of originality.

The problem is that intelligence is the presence of a subjective
perspective. An "I". Science is about objective evidence. Scientism is
a worldview which treats only objectively scientificatlly verifiable
facts as real truths. And in such a worldview, the Turing Test is
inevitable. It shifts the focus from a topic science cannot address to
one it can.

In any case, the Turing Test highlights the distinction I was trying
to make between artificial intelligence and simulated intelligence.
It doesn't care about the difference, the consciousness of the process,
the internals. Simulated intelligence is redefined as being the same
thing, since we are only judging outputs. Even originality may be
possible without real intelligence; it would just be a really good
simulation.

Sec II of my post Ruach Memalela talks about the first-hand experience of
thought, and how it relates to Unqelus's idea that "nishmas chayim" is
a "speaking spirit"