[Avodah] Chamor defiled Dinah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 18 10:59:00 PST 2023

On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 11:30:43AM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> > R Yehudah (Menachos 29a) says that Shelomo melted the gold and
> > spilled off the dross so many times, that is took him 1,000
> > kikarim of initial gold to get something from which he would
> > make the menorah...
>
> I looked at that gemara, and I don't see where it mentions "zahav tahor".
> The refining process there is used for making "zahav sagur", which I
> presume to be something else.

But why did Shelomo haMelekh need that level of refining done if "zahav
tahor" didn't mean the gold had to be as pure as possible?

But I since found the Ramban on Vayiqra 12:8, where he relates "bidmei
taharah" after birthing a boy to the "zahav tahor", saying both refer to
"niqayon... tzaruf umzuqaq". And then explains how the idea applies to
the new mother.

Micha Berger                 Life isn't about finding yourself
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Life is about creating yourself.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - Bernard Shaw
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF