[Avodah] The Chasida

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Nov 21 13:22:54 PST 2023

On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 07:21:11PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> If so, then why is this a NON-kosher bird? ArtScroll Chullin 63a4 cites the
> Chidushei haRim: It is non-kosher because although it does do chesed for
> its friends, it will not help other species.
>
> The Ibn Ezra comments (Vayikra 11:19) that some derive this name from

The bit that it is clled "chasidah" because it does chessed with
its own is R Yehudah on in Chullin 63a. Quoted by Rashi on Vayiqra
11:17.

But neither make this explanation of the name "chasidah" into a reason
why it would be treif despite whatever "chessed" it can be associated
with.

> In this week's parsha, just before naming Yosef, in Bereshis 30:23, Rachel
> Imenu refers to "cherpasi", "my cherpah", variously translated as my
> indignity, my shame, my embarrassment, and the like. Onkelos translates
> this negative feeling as "chisudi".

> Is it possible that this selfish, species-centric bird was not named for
> the Hebrew word chesed, but rather for the similarly-spelled Aramaic word?

That would be ironic, Since Targum Unqelus names the bird "chavvarisa" and
T' Yonasan - "chivarasa". In Aramaic, the species is named with a /ch-v-r/
root, not /ch-s-d/. If the usage in Hebrew was from the Aramaic, and the
Aramaic used a different etymology to come up with a name... As I said, it
would be ironic.

Micha Berger                 The waste of time is the most extravagant
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   of all expense.
Author: Widen Your Tent                              -Theophrastus
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF