[Avodah] The Halakhos of Humanitarian Pauses

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Nov 15 14:08:00 PST 2023

On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 06:22:11PM +0200, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
> R' Micha Berger wrote:
>> All I can say is that this isn't causing soldiers to die for the
>> milchamah, but to limit it. I woud therefore think piquach nefesh would
>> be docheh such a din either way.

> RHS whenever he talks about war quotes the Minchas Chinuch (425) that the
> very nature of war precludes the din of pikuach nefesh applying to it (see
> Bikvei Hatzon page 206).

Yes, but in the line you quote, I am trying to distinguish between war
itself, which is inherently dangerous to life, and the particular din
in question -- leaving an exit from a siege.

War itself perforce cost lives, and that the MC's point.

But letting people flee reduces the number of battles. And therefore
could be an exception.

And therefore perhaps to save lives one would be required not to leave
an escape route, and to battle on -- despite the PN of the additional
battles.

Micha Berger                 When faced with a decision ask yourself,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
Author: Widen Your Tent      at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          - Rav Yisrael Salanter