[Avodah] Far-fetched

Jay F. Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Fri Nov 24 05:29:01 PST 2023

In v41n83:

> The Ibn Ezra comments (Vayikra 11:19) that some derive this name
> from "chesed" - "b'derech rechoka". (Would it be accurate to
> translate those last two words as "but this is far-fetched"?)

That is, in fact, exactly how it is translated on the bottom of Page 44
in the Ktav translation of ibn Ezra on Leviticus.  I think the book is
out of print (there is a website at ktav.com that gives contact
information where you can ask) but there may be used copies available.

Unrelated to the above, has anyone other than myself realized that
"far-fetched" is clearly a Yiddish word masquerading as English?  It
certainly seems so to me.  Another one is "fermented".  I can easily
hear someone saying, "er iz azoy fermented, er is gevezen gantz
far-fetched".  But I digress.

               Jay F. ("Yaakov") Shachter
               6424 North Whipple Street
               Chicago IL  60645-4111
                       (1-773)7613784   landline
                       (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                       jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                       http://m5.chicago.il.us

               When Martin Buber was a schoolboy, it must have been
               no fun at all playing tag with him during recess.