[Avodah] Anan Sahadei

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 20:38:23 PST 2023

Anan sahadei (we testify) generally appears in the gemara as an ironclad
presumption that defines an event (eg if a lender says to a borrower not to
pay back unless there are witnesses, he won’t pay back without witnesses)
or an intent (eg a seller making aliya intended to sell only if he made
aliyah).

Is anyone aware of anything on whether these are rebuttable presumptions? A
function of time and place? Are we encouraged to be mvarer when we can?

Hashem Oz Lamo Yiten Hashem Yvarech Et Amo Bashalom
יְֽקֹוָ֗ק עֹ֖ז לְעַמּ֣וֹ יִתֵּ֑ן יְקֹוָ֓ק׀ יְבָרֵ֖ךְ אֶת־עַמּ֣וֹ
בַשָּׁלֽוֹם:

Joel Rich