[Avodah] Medrash ?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Oct 29 10:21:05 PDT 2023

On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 03:44:56PM -0400, Michael Poppers via Avodah wrote:
> Google'ing, I see Sefaria.org (URL
> https://www.sefaria.org/sheets/395598?lang=bi) quoting REMansour, "
> Shir HaShirim Rabbah 1:1:8 </Shir_HaShirim_Rabbah.1.1.8>
> The Midrash Talpiyot, based on the Zohar in Parashat Noah, writes that the
> souls of the wicked condemned to suffering in Gehinam are given a reprieve
> from their suffering during the times when we are praying here in this
> world. Each of the three daily prayer services, the Midrash Talpiyot
> writes, lasts for an hour-and-a-half. (It seems that in the olden days the
> Sadikim spent a full 90 minutes on each prayer, even Minha and Arbit!)...

When did Pesuqei deZimra become part of of the siddur, rather than a minhag
chassidus mentioned in the gemara?

Shabbos 11b:
    Rabi Yosei said: may my place be among those who eat shalosh se'udos
    on Shabbos.
    Rabi Yosei said: may my place be among those who finish Hallel every
    day.
    Is it so? But didn't the master teach: Whoever recites Hallel every day,
    such a person is a mechareif umegadeif!? What are we talking about?
    [Finishing the lower-case-h hallel] in Pesuqei deZimra.

And the list of "yehei chelqi" continues.

In Siddur R Saadia Gaon, which is later geonic, Pesuqei deZimra are
printed as part of "Tefillas Shacharis leYachid", and isn't Tefillas
Tzibbur. (There is a copy with Hebrew translation of the Judeo-Arabic
instructions and descriptions at https://hebrewbooks.org/20685 . Also,
interesting RSG made his siddur bi-lingual.)

So, we are likely talking about a Shacharis that closely resembled our
Maariv. So:

More impressive it took 90 minutes.

Less surprising it didn't take longer than Minchah or Maariv.

Micha Berger                 The day you were born is the day G-d decided
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   that the world could not exist without you.
Author: Widen Your Tent                  - Rav Nachman of Breslov
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF