[Avodah] THE MEANING OF ROV AS PER THE RAMBAM

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 07:28:48 PDT 2023

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 5:52 PM Brent Kaufman via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> I (me CBK) question why he wrote this halacha at all, since it is not
> practical in any way. Can anyone shed light on this?

The Rambam explains two halachot later why he wrote this:  "Accordingly,
throughout the entire year, a person should always look at himself as
equally balanced between merit and sin and the world as equally balanced
between merit and sin. If he performs one sin, he tips his balance and that
of the entire world to the side of guilt and brings destruction upon
himself; if he performs one mitzvah, he tips his balance and that of the
entire world to the side of merit and brings deliverance and salvation to
himself and others."

In other words, davka because only HKBH can make the determination, we can
never afford to say to ourselves "what difference will it make if I
do/don't do X?", and we need to see our every action as crucial to the
entire world. What could be more practical than that?