[Avodah] When Rosh Hashanah Falls out on Shabbos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 15 12:18:19 PDT 2023

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 06:55:35PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> From <https://ohr.edu/this_week/insights_into_halacha/11371>
>
> This year (5784), the upcoming holiday of Rosh Hashana falls out on
> Shabbos....
>
> The first deviation from the norm is that the Shofar will not be sounded
> on the first (Biblical) day of Rosh Hashana, but rather only on the second
> (Rabbinic) day. The reason given for this 'silencing of the Shofar' is
> the remarkable Gezeira of Chazal that one may come to mistakenly carry a
> Shofar out of the permitted area on this Shabbos in order to learn how
> to properly blow it....

Add to this how rare a reshus harabbim deOraisa was. So we are talking about
canceling Shofar for a DeRabbanan of Shabbos!

Ulla in Berakhos 58a says there is no ulukhsa ("multitude", i.e. 600,000
people, see context) in Baval.

And in the Vatican there is a version (Ebr 127) of Shabbos 6a in which
Ulla says "ein derekh reshus harabbim beBavel". And this is quoted by the Meiri
and the Raaviah.

These are likely the Behag's and Rashi's source for 600,000 in hilkhos eiruvin.

In any case, they show that even in the days of the amora'im, a carrying
on Shabbos deOraisa was a rare problem.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger                 "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   I do, then I understand." - Confucius
Author: Widen Your Tent      "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites