[Avodah] Minyan Man?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 28 13:26:45 PDT 2023

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 05:03:57PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> Davened in the bet Knesset in Ben Gurion airport (NATBAG). There were about
> 15 men at various points in their private tfilot. One individual walked up
> to the amud and proceeded to daven out loud the entire tfila (kaddish,
> barchu etc) as if he were a shaliach tzibur. People (including new
> arrivals) answered even though they were at different points (if at all) of
> davening. There were possibly two people davening at his pace. Analysis?

Not that it helps him, but you don't need a minyan for Qaddish.

Qaddish is said after a section of tefillah, or after learning, by a
minyan. E.g. as long as you had a minyan for part of Pesuqei deZimra,
you can say Qaddish afterwards.

Which sounds to me like having a minyan of people willing to answer
Yehei Shemeih Rabba and Amein from whereever they are up to wouldn't
matter. After all, they aren't all saying the section of tefillah the
Qaddish closes.

That said, this line of reasoning would have an aveil be very careful
when saying a Qaddish after Qorbanos that there was a minyan that indeed
said Qorbanos together and are finishing just then. My shul on Shabbos
is pretty yeshivish, no Chazan until Shochein Ad. It is quite likely
nowhere near a minyan finished when the aveil just says Qaddish out loud.
Same thing comes up when people are coming late, and he says Qaddish
as soon as the 10th arrives. (Maybe 9 who finished and a 10th is okay,
though.)

Micha Berger                 The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF