[Avodah] megilot not read from a klaf

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 28 13:35:39 PDT 2023

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 05:08:28PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> If you attend a minyan where the haftara (or any of the megilot)are not
> read from a klaf, what is the kahal's practice (and has the shul rav
> directed this) during the haftara reading? 1. listen intently to each word
> 2. read along word for word with the one reading from the bima 3. read by
> oneself at their own pace 4. other ________.

My minyan just got a Yeshaiah kelaf, but until then, we did (1) and (2)
by reading quietly to ourselves along with the baal qeri'ah.

I grew up in a chassidish shteibl, where they did (3).

Micha Berger                 Good decisions come from experience;
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Experience comes from bad decisions.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - Djoha, from a Sepharadi fable
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF