[Avodah] nisyonot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 28 13:39:08 PDT 2023

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 05:11:19PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> I was comforted to hear that R H Schachter believes that some people are
> given nisyonot that they can't overcome and thus are held blameless (it
> took me decades to come to believe that after being constantly told the
> opposite). Your thoughts?

The alternative is to be prepared to blame a Holocaust survivor who lost
his faith for becoming a kofeir.

If we suspend judgment in such cases, we must believe that there exists
situations where the person just can't be held accountable. Once we
establish that this is philosophical possibility, we are just arguing
about quantities.