[Avodah] Another Second Temple Era Menorah found

Joe Slater avodah2 at slatermold.com
Wed Aug 16 15:47:19 PDT 2023

> See there for the pictures of the remains of the menorah sculptures. The
> arms
> are curved. And this is contemporary with Bayis Sheini.
>
> The evidence is pretty consistent.

Yes, it is, although the proportions of this depiction are quite different
to the depiction on the Arch of Titus (Y"Sh).

I don't think we can be sure that the menorah is contemporary with the Beis
Hamikdosh, but if so it's possible that one or both artists were careless
and/or unfamiliar with the actual menorah, or that the menorah was replaced
between the two depictions. It would be very interesting to compare all
known depictions for length/width of arms, central stem, number of
decorations, etc., and see how much they have in common.

Joe Slater