[Avodah] priorities in prayers/shalosh seudot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 9 11:32:25 PDT 2023

On Tue, Aug 08, 2023 at 06:58:00PM -0400, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> All other things being equal, would you choose to daven mincha ktana and
> eat a rushed shalosh seudot afterwards, daven mincha ktana and eat a
> relaxed shalosh seudot beforehand, or daven mincha gdola and eat a relaxed
> shalosh seudot afterwards? Why?

Without Shabbos and seudah shelihis / shaleshudis as issues, it's
a broud machloqes whether to prefer Minechah Gedolah. Rif, Ritva, Rosh
and the Tur say MG, the Rambam and Rabbeinu Chananeil say MQ. The AhS
OC 233:12 says the default is MG, but if MQ is momre contenvient, do
that "ve'ein zeh kelekhatchilah ubedi'eved" (even though he loosely used
the word "lekhatchilah" where I said "default).

The MB s"q 1 says that since the Avodah required that the Tamid shel
Bein haArbayim had to be at the end of the day, the usual preference
for earlier wouldn't apply to our Tefillas Minchah either. He even calls
those rishonim who say MG "meqilin". So the MB seems to say the reverse
-- MQ is prefered unless it poses a risk, such as if you want to eat,
or that's not when the minyan meets.

ROY in Yalqut Yosef 233:1 prefers Minechah Qetavnah in stronger terms
than the MB.

I have overslept Shabbos afternoon Minechah. Even in the summer I could
wake up too late for a regular-time minyan. So, I daven early Minchah,
and then nap with a clear conscience. Which is wone of the MGB's examples
of a good reason, and fits the AhS too. As nearly all Sepharadi minhagim
had died out of the Berger line some 90 years ago, I have to condess I
didn't look into the YY as much.

Micha Berger                 You want to know how to paint a perfect
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   painting?  It's easy.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Make yourself perfect and then just paint
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    naturally.              -Robert Pirsig