[Avodah] Motive for the Restart of Smicha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 21 10:03:53 PDT 2023

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 03:52:52PM -0400, Joel Rich wrote:
> I would think that heavenly kappara might only be associated with heavenly
> established lashes

The aforementioned medieval batei din disagreed.

Also, misevara...

Misah is mechapeir, and Hashem allowed malkos from a non-beis din just as
He allowed someone's natural death.

Personally, I would think that any suffering that breaks one out of a
rote that includes sins would be mechaper. After all, they effected
teshuvah-like change by giving an opportunity to think about resuming
one's old ways.

Micha Berger                 Zion will be redeemed through justice,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and her returnees, through righteousness.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF