[Avodah] Kamtza BaKamtza - Has anyone seen Meforshim who comment on this perspective?

allan.engel at gmail.com allan.engel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 15:26:25 PDT 2023

R' Avigdor Miller comments on this passage that the Rabbonim at the time
were totally correct in not supporting Bar Kamtza, indeed acquiescing in
his humiliation, because he was a rasha (as proved by his subsequent
conduct).

He also denies that the gemara is saying that the Churban was payback for
this episode, instead he says that the gemara is merely providing the
sequence of events. His proof for this is the other two stories in the
passage - there is no blame attached in the story of the rooster and hen
that preceded the destruction of Tur Malka, nor the chariot before Beitar's
fall.

I'm not convinced that the plain teitsch of the gemara supports this
conclusion, but you were asking for meforshim who deal with the question.

ADE