[Avodah] Names and Families

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 05:05:47 PDT 2023

.
Regarding the genealogy that we find in Pinchas, perek 26. I had asked:

> I find it odd that for every single person listed here, his
> name is followed by the name of his family, yet there is really
> no new information being taught to us, because in every single
> case, the name of the family is essentially identical to the
> person's name, except for some grammatical adjustments to convert
> the proper name into an adjective.

I found a satisfying answer in Rashi on pasuk 26:5. The key to
understanding his answer is that there is more than one way "to convert the
proper name into an adjective", and in every single case, Hashem did it by
adding a Heh as a prefix and a Yud as a suffix, except in one particular
case where the Heh was sufficient and the Yud would have been superfluous.

Akiva Miller