[Avodah] The Arukh haShulchan on eating borcht made by a non-Jew

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 2 12:44:23 PDT 2023

Arukh haShulchan Yomi post #2, this one is mine.

One wonders how we get from [AhS] YD 112:12 to today's kashrus
supervision.

RYME the siman is about pas aku"m. And se'if 12 discusses why borscht
is not a problem. It seems it was common to put breadcrumbs in the
borscht. "And maybe there are maachalos asuros among the readcrumbs? In
any case they are certainly beteilin beshishim and there is no safeiq
about this. And someone who wants to be machmir should be machmir for
himself and not others."

For the actual words
https://www.sefaria.org/Arukh_HaShulchan,_Yoreh_De'ah_112.1

It increases my belief that the main reason why we today need to look
for hekhsheirim is the existence of those very hekhsheirim. And before
we made such things an efshar levareir, kashrus was a lot easier.

Micha Berger                 I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but it is my chief duty to accomplish small
Author: Widen Your Tent      tasks as if they were great and noble.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                            - Helen Keller