[Avodah] psak

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 01:21:31 PDT 2023

<<I was wondering if you have any thoughts on why the mechaber said he was
going to give psak based on the 2 of 3 rulel(which in my mind was a huge
chiddush that I was never sure of the basis for) but it seems to me if one
were actually to read his work without knowing that algorithm, that one
would ever come up with it given all the alternative opinions he quotes,
etc. Wondering if you have any thoughts on that. >>

As has been pointed out the Mechaber does not consistently follow this rule
and there are
exceptions, As such it would seem that if the rule was not given explicitly
there would be no way to derive it from the work itself.
Yes, people have objected to the general idea of choosing 2 out of  3 when
the Rambam is not completely independent of the Rif. Also, why choose the
Rif more than Rashba or other teshuvot

--
Eli Turkel