[Avodah] Segulos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 4 13:36:56 PDT 2023

On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 09:24:59PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> The following is from The Institute for Dayanim
> https://dinonline.org/category/articles/
>     Today, every Jewish bookstore sports a new genre of Jewish literature
>     -- segula collections. While some garner their segulos from reputable
>     sources, others mix in charms and witchcraft. It is important to
>     discern which is authentic and which is not.

One also has to be careful about attitude.

Simanei milsa on RH, like the apple-in-honey, are not presented the way
segulos have been popularized. We are supposed to use these actions as
a way

My chaburah in Zelmele's Kloiz is currently learning Derashos haRan,
and we are in derashah #2. The Ran talks about why "vaye'etar Yitzchaq
laH' *lenokhach ishto*", why did he have to be facing his wife? The
Ran gets into a discussion of how the shefa a tefillah draws down will
reach the physical more reliably if the mispallel, as the conduit of
the shefa, does something physical. Which is why Elisha's tefillah for
the Shunamite's sign had to involve laying on him. And the Ran gives a
number of other examples.

So far, so mystical.

But the Ran adds this works because the physical act adds kavanah.

Just as the apple-in-honey is there to add to our kavanah when we daven
for a sweeter year.

Now, if a man whose wife is due to deliver soon runs to get pesichah as
a magickal way of making that delivery easier, it is problematic. Even
though this is not a practice that originates in chuqas haaku"m.

But if segulos are taken as kavvanah aids, they are deeply anchored in
the mesorah, like a simana milsa on RH.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 28th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   4 weeks in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Malchus sheb'Netzach: What role does
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    domination or taking control play in building brotherhood?