[Avodah] Dissuading a potential ger

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Sun May 21 06:05:08 PDT 2023

In Megilas Rus 1:14, Naami successfully dissuaded Orpah from converting,
and in 1:15 she gives Ruth one last attempt: "Look, your sister-in-law has
returned to her people and to her gods; go follow your sister-in-law."

How is this not a violation of Lifnei Iver?

One might argue that Naami's initial advice ("Go back to your mother's
house" in 1:8) was accompanied (implicitly or explicitly) by "but be
careful about Sheva Mitzvos Bnei Noach", thereby avoiding any violation of
Lifnei Iver. I personally would not argue that point, because in that
society, Avodah Zara was so rampant that sending them home was
virtually condemning them to Avodah Zara anyways. But I concede that 1:8 is
arguable, and that is why I am focusing on 1:15, in which Naami knows that
Orpah *has* already returned to her *gods*, and encourages Ruth to do the
same. How is this not a violation of Lifnei Iver?

Akiva Miller