[Avodah] ai

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue May 16 19:48:11 PDT 2023

------------------------------

I was going to write a letter to Jewish Action concerning the artificial
intelligence section, but realized it would be long enough for an article,
for which I have no credentials. I just wanted to share two thoughts for
your consideration

There is certainly a permanent spiritual argument that artificial
intelligence could never becoming a poseik. In short, it would not have
siyata dshmaya. However, the arguments of not having shimush or a mesora
seem to me to be more short-term practical arguments. They seem to be based
on the fact that AI has no access to this data because it is not part of
the written corpus. That is true, but the data is being transmitted from
generation to generation somehow, and so, in theory, it could be
transmitted to the AI as well.

It seems this is a subset of the great debate in the outside world
concerning creativity, the hard problem of consciousness (and what it’s
like to be a bat), the existence of free will, and can AI have
consciousness without a body or be sentient. (The creativity issue is an
interesting one, because from what I understand, alpha go revealed
strategies which humans hadn’t discovered).
Perhaps the challenge is to either develop objective external measures
which we can use to settle these debates (the Turing test seems to have
fallen by the wayside) or to simply say these debates can’t be settled
(non-overlapping magisteria or something like that).
It seems to me that at some point klal yisrael will paskin (similarly to
Rabbi Google)
Thoughts?

kt

joel rich