[Avodah] Mesora?

Joel Rich joelirarich at mail.gmail.com
Wed May 10 08:40:56 PDT 2023

> One of the basic limitations of interpreting ancient text, lies, and
> comprehending the cultural references. When it comes to the meaning of
> physical gestures, biblical interpreters engage in a good deal of
> speculation, most of which means unsubstantiated.

This is a footnote in Dr. Yael Ziegler's book on Lamentations (Eichah),
but to me it's a comment that reflects our everyday learning of both
commentaries on Tanach and Halacha throughout the generations. When is it a
tradition and when is it intelligent people looking at texts, and making
their best guess based on their total life study and experience?

KT
Joel Rich