[Avodah] Lying to Paro and the Egyptians

Brent Kaufman cbkaufman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 14:38:13 PDT 2023

I have never been able to find a reasonable answer to this basic question
about leaving Egypt. Why is it that HKBH tells BY to lie to the Egyptians
about "borrowing" their fancy kelim? There was never an intent to return
them, and BY had to even use sneaky tricks to find out where their
neighbors kept the kelim during makkos choshech.

Also, why did Moshe have to tell Paro that BY only wanted to leave for 3
days. It may have been worded in such a way that it wasn't necessarily a
lie, but that is just double-talk. We all know that is the implication, and
using word play doesn't excuse a lie. Why couldn't he just be straight with
Paro and tell him that it's time for us to leave so please let my people
go. We know that HKBH wanted Paro to refuse so that He could bring the 10
makkos upon Egypt, but why was it necessary to lie from the beginning?

Chaimbaruch Kaufman

--

*“Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.”-Theodore/Ted Logan, Esq.*