[Avodah] Yavi es Korbano

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Sun Apr 2 07:49:32 PDT 2023

Most of you already knew this, but after decades I think I’ve finally figured out what Tzav 7:29 means.
“Hamakriv es zevah shlamav lashem yavi es korbano lashem mizevah shlamav.”  Naively it seems like
a tautology.  The key is that, unlike an olah or a hatas,  for a shamim the whole animal is not the sacrifice.
So whereas for an olah or a hatas you might do the preliminary, semicha or viduy or whatever, after you
 hand the animal to the Cohen you can leave.  But for a shlamim you need to stay for slaughter, collecting
 the blood, flaying and dismembering, then bring the korban (as detailed in the following pasuk) take
the edible meat and leave.  So the pasuk is distinguishing between the animal (zevah shlamav) and
the sacrifice.

David Riceman