[Avodah] Why remove drops from Cup; Ought the cup be topped up?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Mar 23 17:06:12 PDT 2023

On 23/3/23 13:34, Ari Zivotofsky via Avodah wrote:

> here is an excellent article on this topic (not by me)
> https://hakirah.org/Vol19Ron.pdf

Thank you.  Note footnote 38, about the English translation of R Dovid
Feinstein's hagada, and the original Hebrew.   As I wrote in this forum
years ago, I believe the English translator misunderstood the Hebrew,
which is simply an instruction on what to do with the spilled wine.  It
is to be spilled out and destroyed, rather than retained and used.

Without the instruction some thrifty person might think to pour it all
back into the bottle, or even back into the cups! But the wine is tamei,
or at least symbolizes something undesirable, and part of the rite is
its destruction. One is not just removing it from the cup but from the
world.

Presumably one should not use shemita wine for the second cup, because
it is forbidden to waste it, though I've never seen such an instruction
anywhere.   (I have been told that when making havdala with shemita wine
one should not put the candle out with it, and after havdala one should
pour the wine that overflowed back in the cup and drink it.)

--
Zev Sero            “Were we directed from Washington when to sow
zev at sero.name       and when to reap, we should soon want bread.”