[Avodah] Why remove drops from Cup; Ought the cup be topped up?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Mar 20 23:17:57 PDT 2023

On 20/3/23 21:10, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
> Where is the source for removing a drop of blood whilst listing the plagues?

The earliest written source is the Rokeach, who attributes it to Rabbi
Eliezer Hagadol, which puts it in the 11th century.

> Why?

The Rokeach's own explanation is that it somehow symbolizes Hashem's
16-sides sword.   But see the Alter Rebbe's siddur for a more accessible
explanation, based on kabala but easily understood. Since it is not his
way to give kavanos, it seems that this one is intended for all, shaveh
lechol nefesh.

As I interpret it, the explanation is that wine is essentially a
blessing, but contains an admixture of "anger and wrath", i.e. it has a
potential for misuse and the opposite of blessing.  The cup represents
Malchus, which is the faculty of expression, so the negative aspect of
alcohol can ch"v also be expressed. How does one handle this? One uses
the power of Binah to distinguish the bad from the good; as one recites
the makkos one spills out all the negative side of the wine, into a
broken vessel which symbolizes the Kelipa.  In other words, one must
handle alcohol with intelligence, consciously rejecting the potential
for anger, and choosing to concentrate only on the positive aspects.
What is left over after this exercise is the pure "Wine that gladdens
the heart of man", i.e. if one drinks intelligently one can be sure of a
positive experience.

> Is the Koss filled before being raised for its Berachah?

In my experience, yes, it is.   And this makes sense to me, since a
bracha should be on a full cup.   But I'm sure there are people who
don't, and it would be easy to explain that too.  E.g., according to the
interpretation I gave above, after having gone to all the effort of
removing the anger from the wine, why would you add "unseparated" wine
and thus symbolically adulterate it with fresh anger?

--
Zev Sero            “Were we directed from Washington when to sow
zev at sero.name       and when to reap, we should soon want bread.”