[Avodah] The Sacred Shekel

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Mar 20 15:03:22 PDT 2023

On 20/3/23 16:58, Prof. L. Levine wrote:
> The second element of American Bankruptcy is “fresh start,” which makes
> it unnecessary to make payments (“discharge”) beyond those prescribed by
> the bankruptcy court.  Talmudic Halacha does not recognize fresh start.
> If someone originally lacks funds but acquires them later, he must pay
> past debts using new assets.

Read the rest of the article.   Talmudic halacha is not necessarily the
operative law in this case.  Dina Demalchusa is likely operative, and if
so it is arguably (and I would so argue) not even midas chassidus to pay
the discharged debts, unless there was a clear understanding between the
parties that they would follow Dinei Yisrael and not Dina Demalchusa.

--
Zev Sero            “Were we directed from Washington when to sow
zev at sero.name       and when to reap, we should soon want bread.”