[Avodah] An Honest Look At Ourselves

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Mar 20 07:01:02 PDT 2023

The following is from Rav Schwab on Chumash page 321.

When we take an honest look at ourselves-the "Torah World," the
shomrei Torah u'mitzvos community-we must make our own cheshbon
hanefesh. Can we honestly say about ourselves, אֲבָל אֲנַֽחְנוּ עַמְּ֒ךָ בְּנֵי בְרִיתֶֽךָ?
Allow me to give you just a few relevant examples. In spite of the present
economic crunch, our Jewish simchos, chasunos and bar mitzvahs have
become more and more blown up with false affluence and an obscene
display of ultramodern fashions and glittering jewelry. The main activity
at these gatherings consists of wolfing down enormous amounts of exotic
food, and what's worse, when all the gorging is done, the large amount
of food that is left over is thrown in the garbage! A colossal violation
of the law of bal tashchis! This really borders on insanity, because we
know there are thousands of hungry people around, and there are whole
yeshivas that could live off the discarded leftovers of Jewish simchos.

Professor Yitzchok Levine