[Avodah] The Sacred Shekel

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Mar 17 07:11:22 PDT 2023

>From Avodah Vol 41, Issue 20

On 13/3/23 20:40, Cantor Wolberg via Avodah wrote:

>> Money that is to be given to tzedakah must be earned
>> in a kosher manner. Bankruptcy is not kosher.?
> It is perfectly legal.
> *??????? ????????????? ???????*

Zev Sero wote:

>I agree. This is precisely the sort of thing that Dina Demalchusa Dina
>*does* apply to; anyone who lends money does so in the knowledge and on
>the assumption that there is always the risk that the borrower will go
>bankrupt.

One has to keep in mind that the approach of RSRH and his successors was total and complete honesty, even beyond what the halacha require. Rav Hirsch received a large dowry when he married. However, he gave it all away to tzedakah, because his father-in-law was a banker, and he was concerned about rebus.

Rav Dr. Yosef Breuer wrote the essay Glatt Kosher, Glatt Yosher. See

https://aspaqlaria.aishdas.org/2006/03/21/rav-breuer-glatt-kosher-glatt-yoshor_21/

Rav Schwab was known as The Ish Ha' emes, see

https://docslib.org/doc/5784356/the-ish-haemes-rabbi-shimon-schwab

IMO, it is unfortunate that all Orthodox Jews do not have the same stringent standards as these rabbonim.

Professor Yitzchok Levine