[Avodah] bet din but not a rav

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 28 11:00:48 PST 2023

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 05:15:13AM -0500, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
>           When the Rambam (Hilchot Sanhedrin 1:10) lists the role of the
> 120 people required in a town to have a Sanhedrin, I noted there is a bet
> din but not a rav....

Actually, he says it's a requiement of the Sanhedrin, not the town.

You cannot convene a Sanhedrin in a town that didn't have 120 -- I presume
120 Jewish adult men. But that doesn't mean that towns were obligated
to have courts.

And going back to shas is problematic, because back then there were
both real semichah and the authority to levy kenasos and to mete out
the standard misos beis din.

Thinking out loud:
Maybe today's obligation to have courts can be statisfied with just a
rabbi who hopefully knows what he is doing, as long as he can always
find two hedyotos as the other dayanim if a case comes up.

Micha Berger                 Life isn't about finding yourself
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Life is about creating yourself.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - Bernard Shaw
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF