[Avodah] Sheker LHara The Boss who wants his workers support

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Feb 23 12:34:13 PST 2023

On 23/2/23 00:42, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:

> It is absolutely forbidden for someone who asks a knowledgeable person
> if the car she intends to purchase is a ‘good buy’ to say anything but
> the truth.

Yes, but what is the truth?   There is absolutely NO problem with saying
(assuming it's true) that "I have not inspected the car, but if Ploni is
selling it to you then you can buy it without hesitation; he is an
expert mechanic and an honest person, and he would not sell you a lemon."

Likewise it is permitted for a well-known rav, who has never set foot in
a restaurant and knows nothing about its kashrus, to provide it with a
certificate over his signature saying "I am well acquainted with the rav
who gives the hechsher here, and if he says you can eat here then you
can eat here".  This is not a dvar sheker because you are not even
implying that you have any personal knowledge of the restaurant's
kashrus.  You're open that you have no such knowledge, but you trust
that it is good because the rav hamachshir says so and you trust him.

--
Zev Sero            “Were we directed from Washington when to sow
zev at sero.name       and when to reap, we should soon want bread.”