[Avodah] facile historicistic solutions

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:35:15 PST 2023

>From R’ A Lichtenstein on the shift in the view of baalei mesora on marital
relations: “The allure of facile historicistic solutions in our case, of
ascription to Sufi or Scholastic influences, regarding worldliness, in
general, or sexuality, in particular – is palpably self-evident. In dealing
with giants, however, we strive to avoid succumbing to its alluring
temptations.
To be sure, post-hazal gedolim, rishonim or aharonim may be affected by the
impact of contact with a general culture to which their predecessors had
not been exposed and to whose content and direction they respond. Upon
critical evaluation of what they have encountered, they may incorporate
what they find consonant with tradition and reject what is not. In the
process, they may legitimately enlarge the bounds of their hashkafah and
introduce hitherto unperceived insights and interpretations.”

Me- That’s complex and not reproduceable – Thoughts?

KT
Joel Rich