[Avodah] name change

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Jan 18 08:22:27 PST 2023

On 18/1/23 09:25, Joel Rich via Avodah wrote:
> When someone is very ill, have you seen name added or total name change?
> If added, was it added as first name (e.g chaim moshe) or last (Moshe
> chaim)? In either case, anything other than chaim or rfael?

I have rarely seen a total name change, probably because it would be
inconvenient for those used to calling the person by his old name.
Adding a name makes it easier to identify who you're talking about.

The only case I know where it was a total name change was not due to
illness.  The person simply wanted to change his name, so he did so.

I have seen names added both before and after, but usually before.

Chaim and Refael are the most common added names, when the change is
made due to illness, but when it is being done for other reasons I've
seen other names.   In the case of illness, the only example I can think
of where another name was used is my grandfather a"h, who during a
childhood illness had the name Yehoshua added in front of his old name.

--
Zev Sero            “Were we directed from Washington when to sow
zev at sero.name       and when to reap, we should soon want bread.”