[Avodah] Gezeira Against Cloth Sukkos?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 10 12:49:06 PST 2023

Three weeks ago, on Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 8:43 -0500, R Akiva Miller wrote:
>> Altogether, the treatment smells like a gezeira based on
>> avoiding a risk, and not "merely" advice to not do something
>> risky.

> *My* opinion is that we have far too many minhagim which are mislabeled as
> halachos, and far too many d'rabanans which people mistakenly think to be
> d'Oraisa. And therefore, I prefer not to take something I see in a sefer
> (no matter how much authority that sefer has) and decide on my own to call
> it a Gezeira D'rabanan. (If someone *else* assigns it that label, that's a
> different story.)

I think you're reversing cart and horse.

The reason why I think it's a gezeira is because the AhS already says that
we are worried about cloth-walled Sukkos even if they're well tied down.
In other words, the chumerah you're afraid of is already there, which to
me implied it must be a gezeira.

So, rather than being reluctant to label this rule a gezeira because people
might take it too stingently, I am seeing that rabbanim took it stringently,
and figured they must have considered it a gezeira.

Micha Berger                 "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and he wants to sleep well that night too."
Author: Widen Your Tent            - Rav Yosef Yozel Horwitz, Alter of Novarodok
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF