[Avodah] bounded by rules?

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 19:15:09 PST 2023

To J Haidt:
First, let me say I really enjoy your work, especially The Righteous Mind
in getting a better understanding of some of the differences in America
today. Unfortunately, recognition of this issue doesn’t seem to be making
things much better just yet. [image: ☹]
Full disclosure I am an Orthodox Jew, who has been wondering about the
organizing principle of atheists, in particular the question of why one
should feel bound to any set of rules once you know it’s all
evolution/culture that causes the development.
My question was with regard to your Happiness Hypothesis final chapter. You
differentiate between two questions – why do they all exist, and how can I
find a sense of meaning and purpose. If I understand your analysis
correctly, the unstated principle is that our personal happiness is the
measure of finding a sense of meaning and purpose. You then provide your
understanding of the research as to how to find happiness. Assumedly
personal happiness is up to each individual to define? If so, if John’s
personal happiness is defined by clubbing baby whales, then he should seek
to maximize it irrespective of study results? Or generally once one
realizes that there is no answer to the holy question then why should one
feel bound to any societal definitions of what is “good“. in particular how
would one respond if they received the ring of Gyges ?

Thoughts?

KT
Joel Rich